As a certified Story Grid editor, I offer a unique developmental editing service backed by the Story Grid resources, expertise and knowledge base.
Maybe you . . .
/ / Want to write a book or are in the process of writing a book?
/ / Aren’t sure where to start writing your book and need help getting organized?
/ / Want to learn about the craft of writing and how to make your book the best it can be?
/ / Need a support system and some accountability to help you achieve your writing goals?
/ / Have already written a first draft and aren’t sure what to do next?
/ / Want to improve your skills and take your storytelling to the next level?
If you feel stuck, overwhelmed, lost or intimidated, don’t worry – I’ve totally been there.
I’m here to help!
I work with writers of all skill levels to help them sharpen their skills, strengthen their craft and write better stories.
Currently I offer the following services:
30-Minute Consultation – FREE
For all new clients, I offer a free 30-minute consultation.
In this consultation, we can discuss your story, your writing goals, and where you might need some help. I can answer questions about story structure, the Story Grid methodology, the editing process, and/or give advice in any areas where you’re facing problems.
We can do the consultation by phone, email or Skype (video or chat).
Developmental Editing – $150/week or $500/month
With weekly 1-hour coaching calls, I can help you move forward with your work faster.
If you have an idea for a story, I can help you take that idea from initial concept to finished manuscript. In our calls, I’ll provide guidance on a scene-by-scene basis and we’ll walk through the process of building a great story together.
And, for writers that already have a work-in-progress, or have completed the Story Grid Diagnostic (below), I can help you take your manuscript to the next level. We’ll discuss your story’s genre and structure, identify any weaknesses and come up with actionable solutions together.
The benefit of this service is the shortened feedback loop between execution and evaluation, compressing the craft learning process.
The weekly rate includes one 1-hour phone call per week.
The monthly rate includes four 1-hour phone calls over the course of one month (one call per week).
If you’d like to get an idea of what our calls will be like, check out the Story Grid podcast.
*If you already have a finished manuscript, I recommend starting with the Story Grid Diagnostic (below), so that you’ll have a strong baseline analysis to work from should you choose to edit your own work or continue with weekly coaching calls.
Story Grid Manuscript Diagnostic – $997
Have you completed a manuscript?
Do you want to know what’s working and specific ways to improve what’s not working?
I will read your entire manuscript and provide an expert Story Grid Diagnostic. With the Diagnostic, you will receive a clear road map with actionable steps you can take to improve your manuscript and become a stronger writer.
The Story Grid Diagnostic includes:
1. A one-hour phone call where we’ll discuss your story’s strengths and areas where it can be improved. I can answer any questions you have regarding your story, the Story Grid methodology, the editing process, and/or offer advice in any areas you feel stuck. Our call will be recorded and you’ll receive a copy immediately following our call.
2. A big picture analysis of the six essential components of story including: the global genre of your story, the conventions and obligatory scenes of your genre, the point of view your story is written in, the wants and the needs of your protagonist, the controlling idea or theme of your story, and whether or not the Beginning Hook, Middle Build, and Ending Payoff of your story are clearly established and working. You will receive a copy of this analysis after our call.
3. An analysis of your first five scenes using the Story Grid spreadsheet. I’ll tell you you which scenes are working, which scenes don’t work, specifically why they don’t work and what can be done to turn them into working scenes. You will receive a copy of this analysis after our call.
4. A follow-up letter that details the recommended next steps when it comes to revising your manuscript. These steps will be prescriptive and actionable, allowing you to focus on writing your next draft rather than worrying about where to start. You will also receive a free copy of The Story Grid eBook and some cheat sheets for your genre.
5. Three recommended books to read in your genre. Reading these books will give you valuable insights into how stories work and will provide a deeper understanding of your genre.
*For this service, you must have a completed draft.